Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Winning and Dinning

.
I love the opportunity to get dressed up and enjoy a great meal at a nice restaurant, but I equally love my own home grown version.

If I had to chose my top 5 activities then preparing a meal for a guest rates up there for me.
Giving it some thought a few days earlier, checking on allergies and dislikes then concocting a menu that will give the guest an enjoyable taste sensation, as well as give me a very satisfied and contented result. It doesn't have to be the most expensive of meals (although I do always get the best ingredients I can afford) that is not what counts the most when winning and dinning at home.

One of my most successful meals was on Bonfire night a few years ago for a group of friends after we had been in the local park watching the fireworks and getting cold noses. They were all busy professionals who were used to eating at some very nice places, but all 5 of them fell over themselves with praise for the simple yet perfect-for-the-occasion meal of Toad In The Hole . With lashings of onion gravy and mountains of fluffy mash potato, very tasty it was too.

Hmmm I think it's time I invited some more friends over for supper.

3 comments:

rp said...

I will be happy to rearrange my schedule to make myself available for your next dinner party. I bring nice wines!

monkey_see said...

hmmm. . . it's got sausage and pudding. . . interesting to say the least.

;)

Cazzie!!! said...

Bonfire night, now that IS something to remember. From when I was a kid until I was about 18 we always had this massive bonfire night. Everyone would ake their hard rubbish and trees and clippings and pile it up for weeks on end.
Then a carnival would be set up and accompanied by the Fire Brigade, we would all get together and share in the night.
Gone are the days of the Bonfire Night, with development of houses, and our conscious efforts to try and stem the affects of Greenhouse emissions.
Fun times they were.
Toad in the Hole, yummo.