Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Realisation

A few days ago I caught a documentary on TV about a group of people who suffer from Prosopagnosia. I half watched it* then thought no more about it till this morning.

This morning I lay in bed thinking about where 2007 has taken me and about the new people in my life and it suddenly dawned on me that I have a problem. I couldn't remember what any of my new friends look like.

I don't have Prosopagnosia = Face blindness, as described here

But what I do have is an inability to visualise faces when they are not in front of me, I recognise people when I meet them, I recognise them in photos, I'm good with names and I usually remember who is who. BUT if I try to visualise someone's face I can't do it.




This morning I tested myself.

My parents, my siblings, lovers and colleagues from my past - they are all just shapes.

I can tell you that my brother is about 5ft 8 - because this is a fact that I've been told, that he is a lot slimmer than he used to be - because we've had conversations about weight loss and he has dark brown hair but as to what his face looks like - I can't say. As I type this I glance over my desk to a photograph of the 2 of us together and I smile at my darling brother.

I know which of my past lovers had facial hair, long, short or shaved heads, which were tall enough to envelope me in their arms and which were not. But without looking at past photos I struggle to visualise their faces - apart from 2.

1) He gave me a pencil line drawing he'd had done of himself, the picture was framed and hung on my wall for over 2 years. I can 'see' that drawing when I think of him.

2) The man who for 5 years held my heart in his grasp while he toyed and played with me. I can 'see' his face in a certain photo taken at my birthday party.

Then I started to try and remember the people I have worked with over the last few years, the people who I have spent hours and hours with. I know what colour hair they have, the styles they wear and their height. But again I can't 'see' their faces.

So I thought about my new colleagues and friends, again I can see their hair colour, styles and height, but can't see their faces - its as if they are just visible out of the corner of my eye, yet when I turn and look straight at them there is nothing there.

But the scariest moment of all came when I tried to visualise my own face. Yes I know I've got green eyes, I've got freckles and long curly hair. But I can't see my own face. I jumped out of bed and ran to the mirror.

So I've spent the first half of the first day of 2008 looking up different information** on the web, whilst its scary actually facing (ho ho) up to this its also a bit of a relief to realise I'm not the only person who struggles from this sort of thing. I'm lucky that I know who people are when I see them and this doesn't affect my day to day life.

What I do find interesting is that I've lived my whole life without realising I had this 'thing' going on, I wonder if I've always been this way? I wonder if this is the reason I have surrounded myself with photos of loved ones. I wonder if I can tell people in the real world.





*I was preparing dinner for 12 at the time.
** One point was that people with this 'thing' often don't bother wearing make up - after all why bother when its something we don't pay much attention too. Thats me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prosopagnosia is one of those things that affects people to varying degrees. Those who are faceblind from birth develop unconscious ways of recognising people.

I am in fact, more likely to recognise people from familiar photographs because I remember the event of the photograph; I know that my sister had that particular haircut and sweater et cetera. I can even distinguish the members in my departmental photo, by process of elimination. However, I cannot use photographs to learn names for new students, except for the very few unusual students (the one boy with Down syndrome, the one South Asian girl with a bindi on her forehead).

Famous people are sometimes identifiable in still photographs because the photographer keys into their particular distinctive traits -- we call this the "Gorbachev Effect" because even the faceblind person can recognise him by his famous port-wine stain birthmark! (All bets are off if he's wearing a hat.) I can recognise that actor (you've pictured below) in his role as Wolverine, but I would not know it was the same person in another movie. Science fiction movies are great because four people of different races are so much easier to distinguish!

Although I can recognise my own family members at home and so on, I have a horrible time trying to find them in crowds, such as in restaurants or on school playgrounds.

You might find some of my blog pages about prosopagnosia interesting; please feel free to comment!

I'm Strange, You're A Stranger

Anonymous said...

Andrea: Thanks for your comment, I'll be checking out your blog. Am currently trying to find out more information anywhere I can.

Sci fi movies are my favourite, hmmm I wonder if thats why?