Monday, March 26, 2007

Now I know how Emily Bronte would feel*

.
I found out today that the people who bought our old family property (been in the family for 79 years) have done a great job in renovating the property. They have however turned one little corner into a display area. During their renovations at the back of long undisturbed shelves and storage sheds they uncovered an old writing desk and some visitors books that span generations of visitors, a framed piece of cross stitch and a tea set - they've set it up in the alcove under the stairs as a 'conversation' piece. My uncle was passing and called in to introduce himself and complement them on the work they have done to the building, he didn't expect to walk in and see the desk that ALL of us used at one time or another to write on. He was also a little surprised to see how they had turned the page of the visitors book to a date in 1945 and see his own name written there in a child's hand.
To us its every day stuff, to the new owners it is a exhibit!

And yes, the framed cross stitch - it was something I made as a child.
I shall make sure that I drop in at some point to see this all for myself - I might even sign their new visitors book for them.

***********


* The Bronte Parsonage was the first 'home turned into a museum' I was taken to see as a small child, the image of her desk, her journal and petite gloves has stayed with me all these years and I always wondered how the Bronte family would feel if they could see the tourists looking through their personal affects.

1 comment:

monkey_see said...

Interesting how to some it is just an ordinary everyday item, yet to some one else it holds a special mystique that they need to share.

Pretty cool if you ask me.