Thursday, May 10, 2007

Mother

.
I just left this long winded comment at LC's place when he talks a little about his relationship with his mother

*******

I totally understand where you are coming from.
In a moment of utter madness and alcohol I invited my parents to come and visit me from England, never for a second did I think they would actually come, because

a) I gave them a narrow time slot when they'd be welcome - only 3 weeks away
b) My Mother doesn't like to fly
c) I was pretty sure that their passports were probably out of date
d) They surely wouldn't be able to get time off work at such short notice.
and
e) Who has enough spare cash sitting around for an international flight x 2

She said yes!
They got their passports fast tracked and leave from work and had apparently been putting some money aside 'just in case you invited us'.

Sh1t.

My siblings were so unbelieving that I'd invited her that they both called to ask if I was on drugs.

The day she was due to fly in to my country I met a friend for lunch and cried, yes cried that my mother was coming to visit my house.
3 hours after they arrived I was on my bathroom floor vomiting and sobbing uncontrollably that she was in my house for the next 10 days.

It was bad.

I got through it (mainly with the help of alcohol and booking them lots of tours!) and I've never been alone in a room with her (willingly) since.

Friends who have 'proper' relationships with their parents just don't understand. It's good to know someone else who does.

No comments: